Can I use my parent’s auto Insurance Policy instead of obtaining SR 22 Coverage?

If you have recently been convicted of a serious driving offense, such as a DWI or DUI, you may be required to obtain SR-22 coverage in order to reinstate your driver’s license. This type of insurance is costly and complex, and many drivers wonder if they can use their parents’ auto insurance policy instead. Unfortunately, this is not an option and using someone else’s policy could result in certain legal issues.


What is SR-22 Insurance?


SR-22 insurance (also known as the Certificate of Financial Responsibility) is a type of high-risk car insurance that provides proof that you are carrying the minimum amount of car insurance required by your state. It certifies that you are meeting the financial responsibility requirements set forth by your state. It must also be filed with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and must remain valid for a specified period of time – usually three years – before it can be canceled or removed from your file.


Can I Use My Parents’ Auto Insurance Policy?


No, if you have been convicted of a serious driving offense such as DWI or DUI, you cannot use your parents’ auto insurance policy instead of obtaining SR-22 coverage. Your parents’ insurance policy cannot provide proof to the DMV that you are meeting the financial responsibility requirements set forth by your state. Furthermore, if you do use someone else’s policy, there could be certain legal implications; it is illegal to misrepresent yourself when obtaining auto insurance in most states so it would not be advisable to do so in this situation.


What Are My Other Options?


Fortunately, there are other options available to those who need SR-22 coverage but don’t want to pay for it outright. Many auto insurers offer discounts on their policies for drivers who need SR-22 coverage due to convictions related to driving offenses such as DWI or DUI. Additionally, some insurers offer nonstandard policies specifically tailored for high-risk drivers, which may include SR-22 coverage at no additional cost. And lastly, some states allow drivers who need SR-22 coverage to purchase it through special justifications programs where fees are reduced and payment plans may be available depending on individual circumstances.


Bottom Line

Unfortunately, there is no way around obtaining SR-22 coverage if you have been convicted of a serious driving offense and need to reinstate your license; using someone else’s auto insurance policy will not suffice and could even land you in legal trouble depending on the state laws regarding misrepresentation when obtaining an auto insurance policy. However, there are several other options available such as discounts from insurers who specialize in high-risk drivers or special justification programs offered through some states which offer reduced fees and payment plans depending on individual circumstances.

Check Los angeles SR 22 insurance to learn more.